Looking at Bollywood today, don't you wish to go back to the good-ol' Raj Kapoor times?
Barfi! is sure to take you back to those times. It is a fusion in my opinion, of the Modern Bollywood and the Golden Times of Indian Cinema.
The Kapoor family is the most influential family of Bollyland for a reason. Sheer, sheer talent spread out across three generations of brilliant actors that evolve with each performance, leaving a mark on the timeline of Cinema.
And blissfully the music that follows their performance is always apt.
Pritam decides to go gentle on the beats this time. The tracks have a general tone of soft music in them. Beautifully embedded with bells, tinkles, and slight acoustic, it relaxes your brain.
It gives you a much needed break from the item-numbers and heavy rockesque music that is intercepted from Bollywood these days.
Album Overview :
Answer to all that-"Up your...."
If you're listening to the whole album, prepare to listen to some beautiful relaxing music.
The movie demands such music. The songs always go by the screenplay and story, and not by what the composer wishes.
I have just one hiccup, the instruments used are too monotonous. Soft music can be made by different combinations. All I hear is light bass, gentle acoustic arpeggios, tinkles and more tinkles on a jazz time signature.
So much is the similarity that I had a little difficulty in distinguishing the tracks from one another.
Lyrics, are just beautiful. Swanand Kirkire brings out depth of emotions combined with a sense of humor in his words.
That apart, I think Pritam has done a fantastic job.
Brilliant combination of Pritam and Anurag Basu had to do wonders.
After all, "Life in a Metro" still appears on my top favorite Bollywood albums.
Track by Track Review:
1) Barfi! : "Aankhon hi aakhon mein karein baatein..."
Peppy music, takes one part of your brain to a flashback and one into the beauty of Mohit Chauhan's voice. It proves you don't need a bassline to make a hit track. Acoustic progressions with harmonica in the background and soft guitar lead make it one of the best tracks in this album.
It combines tragedy with humor in such a way you don't realize it's warming your heart.
4/5
Soft bass on a 2/4 time signature with minor chord progression on major scale song is the essence of this track. Nikhil Paul George, gives it the most perfect kind of vocals. He's worked with Pritam on many projects but by far, this has been his best contribution. He's got a jazz-ish voice which makes me play this song again and again!
4.5/5
Papon's flirty vocals makes all the difference in this track. When it's a Sunidhi Chauhan track, I will wait patiently for her to strike my ears, but this time, Papon overshadows her, beautifully. Lyrically, it's an amazing soundtrack. Blissful combination of Bass and Acoustic intro gives it another dimension.
3/5
The one track which brings out soft classical music. Also the only track which made me feel there is a variation in this album. Rekha Bhardwaj gives it a classical touch. Pritam didn't go with many instruments and it worked out pretty well.
2.5/5
Flute, Violin, Acoustic Guitar, Bass drums, all into one amazing song makes me tap my feet. This one's on a jazz roll. Shreya Ghoshal and Nikhil Paul George do a very amazing job here.
3/5
Play this when you're about to sleep. A very apt lohri. Gentle saxophone with very, very light bass background. A 3/4 time signature is what gives this track a more subtle sense of calming and relaxing music. Arijit Singh pulls it off perfectly.
3.5/5
I played this track, and I played it again and again and again. Because I felt I heard Kishore Kumar. The famous tongue-roll which only Kishore Da could pull off, I heard a very close reconstruction of that talent. Swanand Kirkire is brilliant with this one. Takes you to the real olden times.
4/5
I would gladly give it 8.5/10.
No comments:
Post a Comment