We have moved to a new site bombaynerds.com

Thursday, 17 May 2012

Music along the years...

Often I've come across questions like, "What is Music?"..
To different people, it means different things..what seems like noise to one,might just be music to someone else. Actually Music doesn't have a definition. Not a fixed one at least. 

Our generation,as my elders rightfully say is an ultimately confused one. Maybe because we belong to two completely different, incomparable times. We've grown up in the 90's and will spend the majority of our life in the 21st Century. As times change,so do we.

I've grown up in a family where irrespective of their occupations, each family member has always been inclined towards music. Every family member has a different music taste. So basically I've grown up listening to Classical Indian in the mornings, 90's Bollywood in the afternoons and legends like Carpenters and Abba in the evenings. 


My own personal taste in music has changed a lot over the years. I've loved Metallica (still do). I've absolutely head-banged to Manson, have gone high on Nirvana and Cobain, given my best shot at Hendrix-ing into my guitar, been on the Highway To Hell, danced on Hip-Hop and yet I can't deny Eminem is the absolute God of Rap. It was much later that I realized that Alternative Rock is the kind of genre that really inducts into me. The real peace-giving kind of music. It might not be as heavy duty as Death-Metal but it takes me to a different world all the same.


All this has really made me appreciate all genres. Like I said before, Noise to one might be Music to other.
A Sound Engineer would tell you that Genres are defined by the beats per second and the instruments used in the track..but I say a Genre is purely made out of sentiment. When you can deliver your message in the right way the cost of Paper does not matter. 

In the earlier days, an artist or a band would gain fame due to the pure collective effort of multiple tracks coming together as an album. Times have changed. In todays day, artists are known by their Solos. 
Music Videos have gained more importance than live concerts, Electronic beats have replaced the classic old Drum-Roll, etceteras.


My band mates and I had a discussion on whether the importance of a drummer is fading these days. Undoubtedly a drummer is no match to any computer,but the feeling of playing with a talented performer has it's own essence.


Voices are morphed in the recording stage...
I am a huge Abba fan too, thanks to my mom, and whenever I listen to their tracks it's a rejuvenating feeling. The artists of today rely on the software more than their voices. 
I see the younger crowd today following hip-hop and trans electronic artists of today and calling the old classics "boring"..deep down somewhere it pains me seeing this happening.
Old is and will always be Gold.


I once asked my junior from school, "Which is your favorite Beatles song?"
and she replied, "Beatles who?..." 
Those four legends, whose names are known to every single kid my age were unknown to a girl just a year younger to me. That's what I call a Generation Gap.


I alway say if there was a substantially epic fan following, in fact even is, it has to be Michael Jackson's.
Thanks to my mom I am a MJ fan too. But for his music more than his dance moves.
I know so many juniors who like MJ only because of his Moonwalk.
When I saw his concert videos, I was baffled! People ACTUALLY CRIED watching him perform!
That was just epic. God indeed sends Legends to our planet very sparingly.

As the two sides of a coin I believe that this modernization has given the music industry boons as well. Just somehow, Hans Zimmer manages to blow my mind AWAY by his compositions. Not much to complain when you're in a trance listening to 'Mombasa' or 'Discombobulate'.

Whilst we might criticize an artist and his music, we never know the same music might be an inspiration for someone at some other corner of the planet. We must be tolerant to all kinds of music. After all, it's the same story said in a million different languages.

And like I always say whenever someone criticizes a music track in front of a fan,
"To Each His Own Music".

9 comments:

                             This site is too hot for Internet Explorer. We recommend that you use Google Chrome.